Weight Management and Lifestyle
Eating in unbalanced ways, sitting too much, and not being active enough increases your risk of excess body weight and related health issues (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer). It can also have a negative impact on your quality of life and relationships. If you have a family history of excess body weight, you are at an increased risk of developing these problems yourself.
Adopting a healthier, more balanced lifestyle can prevent weight gain, and produce moderate weight loss. As little as 5-10% loss of initial body weight has been shown to significantly decrease the risk of weight-related health problems and improve your quality of life.
Dr. Coons offers evidence-based behavioural programs for weight management and improving your lifestyle. These personally tailored programs can help you to live a healthier, more balanced lifestyle to optimize your physical and emotional health.
For help with weight management and lifestyle email Dr. Coons.
Do you have problems falling asleep, staying asleep, or waking too early in the morning? Are you often sleepy during your day, or have problems at work or home because of not feeling rested? You may be experiencing insomnia or related sleep issues, and you are not alone!
Thirty percent of the population experiences symptoms of insomnia, and 80% of people living with a chronic health condition experience insomnia.
Dr. Coons offers evidence-based services to diagnose the underlying problem, and offers effective non-drug treatments that can improve your sleep and sleep quality.
For a better nights sleep contact us today.
Pain is your body’s natural way to tell you that you have injured your body, and to promote our physical recovery. In the short-term, pain is a signal to rest during a recovery period. However, 20% of people continue to experience pain that doesn’t go away, even after an injury has healed. Upward of 80% of people that visit the emergency department report pain as a reason for seeking medical attention.
Persistent pain can prevent people from engaging in important activities in their lives, and is associated with a variety of mental health problems including depression, anxiety, substance use, and interferes with both quality of life and relationships.
Dr. Coons offers evidence-based services to help diagnose pain-related problems, and provide cognitive and behavioural treatments that help people to manage their pain more effectively and reduce the interference of pain in their lives.
Comprehensive assessment services for sleep, weight management, or pain include:
- Clinical diagnostic interviews
- Completion and analysis of self-monitoring tools (sleep, pain, food, and activity logs)
- Collection and analysis of data from home-based sleep monitoring devices
- Completion and analysis of validated questionnaires
- Consultation with other healthcare providers and/or family members or significant others
- Development of treatment recommendations
- Note: Summary reports for other healthcare providers are available upon request
Evidence-based treatments for sleep, weight management, and pain includes:
- Motivational interviewing (a client-centered therapy style that maximizes clients’ motivation for healthy changes)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia (a proven first line treatment approach for sleep and related problems recommended by both the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, and Canadian Sleep Society)
For help managing chronic pain contact Dr. Coons today.